If you’re trying to find out what is open Christmas Day in Brisbane, look no further. We’ve checked out shops, chemists, restaurants and cafes across Brisbane to put together a list of what is open on Christmas Day.
What is open on Christmas Day 2022 in Brisbane?
You know what it’s like – Christmas morning, a big day planned, you go to the fridge to start making preparations and realise you’ve forgotten something. Then it hits you! It’s Christmas! Do supermarkets open Christmas Day? Are any shops open Christmas Day? Well we’ve got the answer to these questions and more. We’ve put together a list of what’s open on Christmas Day in Brisbane that should get you out of trouble.
And if you’re not doing in-home celebrations or not celebrating at all we’ve got you covered too. We’ve hunted around and found which restaurants open on Christmas Day in Brisbane where you can grab a bite to eat. And if you just need a coffee fix to get you through the day, we’ve got that sorted as well. Check our list to find a café open Christmas Day near you.
Supermarkets open Christmas Day in Brisbane
In need of groceries? Read on to find which supermarkets open Christmas Day 2022 in Brisbane, and which supermarkets are closed.
TBC for 2022: IGA stores are independently operated and can open if they choose. We’ve been able to verify that these IGA supermarkets open Christmas Day either for the full day or part day. Click on the links to their Facebook pages for up-to-date hours.
- Leo’s IGA Racecourse Road, 77 Racecourse Road and Kent Street, Ascot
- IGA Boondall, 2138 Sandgate Road, Boondall
- IGA Brighton, 353 Beaconsfield Terrace, Brighton
- IGA Marketplace Brunswick Street, 572 Brunswick Street, New Farm
- IGA Marketplace Milton, 12 Baroona Road, Milton
- IGA Marketplace St Lucia, 240 Hawken Drive, St Lucia
- Seasons IGA Greenslopes, 3 Chatsworth Road, Greenslopes
- IGA Gumdale, 682 New Cleveland Road, Wakerley
- IGA Manly Village, 226 Stratton Terrace, Manly
TBC for 2022: Foodworks stores are allowed to open Christmas Day in Brisbane. Most of the following stores will open in the morning, with a couple extending across the whole day. Check their individual Facebook pages for the most up-to-date opening times.
- Foodworks Everton Hills, 1/1-5 Queens Road, Everton Hills
- Foodworks Sumner Park, 88 Sumners Road, Sumner Park
- Foodworks Express Salisbury, 226 Lillian Avenue, Salisbury
- Foodworks Morningside, 629 Wynnum Road, Morningside
- Foodworks Norman Park, 183 Bennetts Road, Norman Park
- Foodworks Victoria Point, 3/149 Colburn Avenue, Victoria Point
TBC for 2022: Aldi stores trade until 6pm Christmas Eve and then close Christmas Day. Stores will re-open across Brisbane between 9am and 6pm on Boxing Day.
TBC for 2022: Coles supermarkets across Brisbane are closed on Christmas Day. For most stores you’ll need to get your shopping done by 6pm on Christmas Eve, although a few stores will open until 9pm. Check their website for your nearest store’s hours. All Coles stores will open on Boxing Day between 9am and 6pm.
TBC for 2022: All Woolworths supermarkets are closed on Christmas Day. You can pick up supplies from Woolies until 6pm Christmas Eve, with the exception of the Skygate store that will be open until 10pm. Skygate will open at 8am on Boxing Day, with all other Woolworths stores opening at 9am.
TBC for 2022: Convenience stores like 7-Eleven and Night Owl are allowed to open Christmas Day. There are hundreds of shops across Brisbane, so if all else fails a convenience store near you should be open.
Shops open on Christmas Day in Brisbane
TBC for 2022: Queensland trading laws mean there are few shops open Christmas Day in Brisbane. While some small independent shops may be open to pick up essentials and other bits and bobs, for the most part you’ll need to get your Christmas shopping done by Christmas Eve.
Major stores including K-Mart, Big W, Target, Myer, David Jones, Bunnings and Ikea will all close at 6pm on Christmas Eve and re-open on Boxing Day around 9am (8am at Big W). Check each store’s websites for the most up-to-date trading hours for your nearest store.
K-Mart is closed on Christmas Day
Big W is closed on Christmas Day
Target is closed on Christmas Day
Myer is closed on Christmas Day
David Jones is closed on Christmas Day
Bunnings is closed on Christmas Day
Ikea is closed on Christmas Day
RELATED: Looking to save money for Christmas – read our money saving guide!
Restaurants, cafés & pubs open Christmas Day in Brisbane
You’ll be hard pressed to find pubs open on Christmas Day in Brisbane due to Queensland’s trading laws. Pubs open Christmas Day must have a dining section serving full meals, and alcohol can only be served to patrons during the meal and for an hour before and after the meal. However, many restaurants are open with a special Christmas Day lunch, and some cafes are open for that caffeine fix.
Here we have listed some of our favourites:
Pubs open Christmas Day
TBC for 2022: We’ve found a couple of pubs open on Christmas Day featuring set menus for Christmas lunch.
- Regatta Hotel, 543 Coronation Drive, Toowong (Seafood buffet)
- Hotel West End, 10 Browning Street, West End (Seafood buffet)
Restaurants open Christmas Day
Some of the big hotels’ restaurants open on Christmas Day along with a few other upmarket restaurant options, all offering special Christmas lunch menus. These include:
- Stamford Plaza
- Royal on the Park
- Walters Steakhouse
We have a full list of where you can dine in restaurants, cafes and pubs open Christmas Day 2022 in Brisbane here.
Cafés open Christmas Day
TBC for 2022: If you’re looking for a café open Christmas Day, these are some of your best options. We’ve provided links to their websites or Facebook pages to check their exact opening hours:
- Zarraffa’s Coffee, various locations.
- Fonzie Abbott, 40 Fox Street, Albion
- Coffee Head Co, 62 Manning Street, South Brisbane
- Has Beans Café, 5 Abbott Street, Camp Hill
- Eightysix Café, 146 Baroona Road, Rosalie
- Ananas Espresso, 4 Central Avenue, Graceville
Bottle shops open Christmas Day
All bottle shops in Brisbane are closed on Christmas Day. You’ll need to get your purchases before closing time on Christmas Eve. Bottle shops open again on Boxing Day.
Chemists open on Christmas Day in Brisbane
TBC for 2022: If you or your kids are not feeling well this Christmas you’ll need to know if there’s a chemist open Christmas Day. Some options include:
- Ramsay Pharmacy, Greenslopes Private Hospital, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week – including Christmas Day
- Aspley Day and Night Pharmacy, 1368 Gympie Road, Aspley, open every day of the year, including Christmas Day, 7am-11pm
- Wynnum Day and Night Pharmacy, 154 Florence Street, Wynnum, open every day of the year 8.30am-8pm
- Corinda Compounding Chemist, 661 Oxley Road, Corinda, open 9am-8pm Christmas Day
Need something closer to you? We have updated our detailed list of chemists/pharmacies that are open on Christmas Day in Brisbane here.
Petrol stations open Christmas Day in Brisbane
Petrol stations have unrestricted trading hours and can open Christmas Day. You should find most servos open across Brisbane, with the exception of the occasional small independent operator.
What’s open Christmas Day in Brisbane?
In this article we’ve listed everything we know about that is open Christmas Day. We hope it’s been useful.
If you’re searching for entertainment options or ways to pass the time, check out our article about places open on Christmas Day 2022. We wish you a merry Christmas.
Join our Facebook group to jumpstart your Christmas planning all year long!